Art Exhibition by the Portuguese artist Cristina Troufa ”If You Could See Me Now” starts April 7 in Almancil
Cristina Troufa, who was born in Porto (1974) has become through a series of prestigious exhibitions and features in serious art publications, one of Portugal’s most significant mid-career artists. As a figurative painter of undeniable skill, her art examines the self, the inner life of an artist and her differing roles as a modern woman. Her work is powerfully expressive and deeply psychological, which can be at times, unsettling.
Cristina Troufa’s unflinching eye, places her front and centre within the work, her brushstroke is assured, the palette strong and the line supremely confident. The use of negative space, perhaps alluding to an unknown inner world is particularly effective. In her most recent series Cristina, partly as a result of global concerns has incorporated abstracted references to the natural world and her place within it.
Cristina obtained a Bachelor’s Degree in Plastic Arts – Painting at the Faculty of Fine Arts at the University of Porto in 1998, where she also obtained a Masters’ Degree in Painting in 2012. Troufa was awarded a FADEUP scholarship in cooperation with Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation and in 2015 she was a jury member and guest artist for ‘PortugArt’ a survey exhibition of contemporary Portuguese art in London.
Cristina Troufa’s compelling work can be placed alongside other acclaimed Portuguese female artists, such as Paula Rego and Joana Vasconcelos, as already many collectors and institutions are taking notice of her, both in Portugal and internationally.
Her work has been mentioned in various national and international books, such as:
- 2015 catalog “Art Revolution Taipei 2015” Taipei, Taiwan
- 2007 catalog – “Arte Lisboa, Contemporary Art Fair”
- 2006 Book – “Golden Book of Contemporary Art in Portugal”
- 2004 Book – “Art in Sport” Linhares Gallery, Lisboa
- Represented in various collections: MAEDS, FADEUP, FBAUP, Museu Municipal de Espinho, Liberty Seguros
- 2014 cover book “The Houses of Others” by Deakla Keydar
- In 2008 Illustrations for the book “Words of Fernando Pessoa”- Centro Atlantico, Portugal
She has also been referenced and interviewed in various media, such as:
- 2014 Artist of the month and cover image in “Line & Stylish” magazine Nº 11
- 2014 Cover image (A Paixão tem um Fado #2) in “Heavy Feather Review 3.2”, Ohio, EUA
- 2014 “Empty Kingdom Top 100 Artists of 2013”; Empty Kingdom Magazine, San Francisco, EUA
- 2014 “The New Collectors Book” 2014 Basak, New York
- 2012 Magazine “Arbus, The Arts & Business Magazine of Northeast Florida”, USA
- 2012 Newspaper “Paradise, The Travel Edition”
For more information on the event, contact the gallery through this address: [email protected]