Portugal has emerged as one of the winners of the European edition of the World Travel Awards.
The country has brought home 26 ‘tourism Oscars’, including the prizes for Leading Destination (Portugal) and Leading Beach Destination (Algarve).
It is the fourth year in a row that Portugal has been elected Europe’s top destination.
“It is with great pride that we receive this award in this atypical year,” said Secretary of State for Tourism, Rita Marques. “It is a show of international confidence for our destination and an acknowledgment that Portugal’s attributes remain intact and ready to be discovered by anyone wishing to visit us, respecting at all times the rules set by the authorities,” the secretary of state added.
Meanwhile, the Algarve was named Europe’s number one beach destination for the seventh time.
“To receive this award and continue to deserve the trust of travellers from all over the world in a year as troubled as 2020 is a sign of confidence for the future,” said Algarve tourism chief João Fernandes. As he pointed out, the distinction shows that the region is not only a great beach destination but also a safe one.
Indeed, making sure the Algarve remains a safe place for tourists has been a main goal for the regional tourism board (RTA) since the start of the pandemic, he said. “Receiving this international award proves that all our hard work was worth it and that the Algarve is able to adapt to new circumstances without giving up the quality and authenticity of the experiences that can be enjoyed here by tourists,” the tourism boss added.
Elsewhere in Portugal, Porto was hailed the Leading City Break Destination, while Lisbon was elected Leading Cruise Destination and Cruise Port. The archipelagos of Madeira and Azores were also granted two accolades – Leading Island Destination and Leading Adventure Tourism Destination, respectively.
Several private companies, hotels and resorts throughout Portugal also brought home prizes from the award ceremony.
Here’s the full list of winners:
• Leading Design Hotel – 1908 Lisboa Hotel
• Leading Luxury Hotel – Belmond Reid’s Palace
• Leading Lifestyle Resort – Conrad Algarve
• Leading Tourism Development Project – Dark Sky Alqueva
• Responsible Tourism Award – Dark Sky Alqueva
• Leading Luxury Resort and Villas – Dunas Douradas Beach Club
• Leading Wine Region Hotel – L’AND Vineyards
• Leading Cruise Destination– Lisbon
• Leading Cruise Port – Lisbon
• Most Romantic Resort – Monte Santo Resort
• Leading Adventure Tourist Attraction – Passadiços do Paiva (Arouca UNESCO Global Geopark)
• Leading Lifestyle Hotel – Pestana CR7 Lisboa, Lifestyle Hotel
• Leading All-Inclusive Resort – Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive Beach & Spa Resort
• Leading City Break Destination – Porto
• Leading Boutique Hotel – Sublime Comporta
• Leading Airline to Africa – TAP Air Portugal
• Leading Airline to South America – TAP Air Portugal
• Leading Inflight Magazine – Up Magazine (TAP Air Portugal)
• Leading Destination – Portugal
• Leading Beach Destination –Algarve
• Leading Luxury Boutique Hotel – Valverde Hotel
• Leading Adventure Tourism Destination – Azores
• Leading Island Destination – Madeira
• Leading Boutique Hotel Operator – Amazing Evolution
• Leading Hotel Management Company – Amazing Evolution
• Leading Island Resort – Vila Baleira Resort
The winners of the international edition of WTA are due to be announced on November 27.